Having frequent one on one meetings is one of the most powerful resources a team can use to strengthen communication, align priorities and measure the impact their efforts are having on the company. Regular check-ins, especially between a manager and his or her team, are a crucial part of most employee workflows.
What better way to encourage this engagement than providing an infrastructure for meetings which is tied to broader discussions about goals and performance?
So we built a tool for it: Dedicated 1:1 Meeting support
Article Quick Links
- How to setup and kick off a 1:1 meeting
- 1:1 meetings overview
- 1:1 meetings in 360 feedback or performance reviews
- Company Overview for HR Admins
- Nudging Employees and Managers
How to set up a 1:1 Meeting
There are two routes to setup a 1:1 meeting.
Method 1: Using +Create anywhere in the application
- Click the "+Create" button in your top navigation bar and select '1:1 Meeting'.
- Choose the other participant using the search field, or navigate directly to your 1:1 Meeting home page.
- Once a co-worker is selected, you'll be redirect to the 1:1 Meetings page between you and them. This is your go-to place for all the meetings between you and your co-worker.
Method 2: Browse 1:1 meeting tab and choose from your team members
- Choose '1:1 Meetings' from the navigation on the left-hand side of your screen
- Here you'll see a list of your existing 1:1's and also your team members too (especially handy if you're a manager of many team members). Click on one of the users.
- Additionally, you could also set up a 1:1 Meeting with anyone in your company by clicking the '+ New Meeting' button and searching for the user.
Customizing the 1:1 meeting
When setting in your 1:1 meeting, you have the option to set a title for the meeting, a date, and to launch multiple meetings simultaneously. Watch the gif below for a full loop example.
1:1 Meetings Overview
From this page, you're able to manage all of the 1:1's you have with your colleague. Each meeting is made up of the following:
- Meetings Search
- Meeting date
- Calendar link
- Talking Points
- Meeting notes
Each participant can add their own Talking Points and Notes, and these can be kept private from the other participant or made public later. Please read further for more information on Talking Points and Notes.
The Meetings Search menu allows you to search the titles of previous meetings quickly:
There is an easy option to timestamp your meeting, which can be useful when looking back through frequent check-ins.
Also included is the ability to link directly to the meeting hub. So if you have a standing invite for 1:1s in your shared calendar of choice, you can put the link there!
Setting Talking points
One of the main attractions of the feature is the ability to set some agenda items prior to the One on One. Both meeting participants can set areas of discussion they want to address, using them as a handy reference point to keep the conversation on track.
As the topics come to mind, you might want to compile your Talking Points over time. And since these agenda items have flexible visibility- You could potentially compose the topics and make adjustments with private visibility, and then right before the meeting, make them available for both participants to review. Or keep them private, up to you!
Talking point features:
- Easy To Add: quickly add Talking Points with keyboard shortcuts: Cmd./Ctrl. + Enter
- Organize Talking Points: give your 1:1 Meetings structure and flow by organizing Talking Points
- Feel Accomplished: check off Talking Points to ensure all important topics are addressed
You have the flexibility to have both private and shared Talking Points in the same meeting, can edit at any point, or delete.
Important! To edit either Talking Points or meeting notes, look for the downward facing arrow, like here:
Copying Talking Points
It's possible to copy talking points from one meeting to the next, by selecting to the admin drop-down on the meeting itself. Below is a screenshot showing this option.
You can copy over multiple meeting notes at once, or one note at a time:
Adding Meeting Notes
During the meeting the opportunity to take notes or set actions items before the next check-in might arise. Both meeting participants can jot them down in real time, or transfer once the meeting is complete.
There are the same visibility options as the Talking Points section, and as the meetings begin to thread, the notes can become points of reference / actions items for future 1:1s.
Creating multiple meetings
You have the option to create multiple upcoming meetings without waiting to finish the current meeting. Watch the below gif to see this in action!
1:1s and Performance Reviews
When it is time to have a formalized check-in around performance between manager and team, we make it easy to rely on all of the past conversations captured in 1:1s. No stress in trying to remember a milestone, no need to dig through a series of notes- It is all available at the bottom of your review form.
Since you can use this feature to set Talking Points and take meeting notes with any colleague at your company, these conversations can also prove to be useful as part of a 360 process! If you've been asked to give feedback to a team member you've had meetings with, that threaded dialogue will be available as a resource to you as well.
If you are initiating a meeting with a colleague, you have the option to trigger an email notification to them:
Delivered to their inbox, it looks like this:
You will also receive in-application an email notifications when public Talking Points are added or adjusted- As well as when public notes are added or adjusted.
If you would like to disable 1:1 notifications to your inbox, you can do this by:
- Hovering over your profile pic in the upper right corner of your screen
- Clicking into your profile menu and selecting "Your Settings"
- Unchecking the 1:1 email notifications
1:1 Company Overview for HR Admins
As an HR Admin, you can discover the frequency of meetings that are performed between managers and their direct reports from the 1:1 Company Overview page.
You'll be able to filter 30, 60, and 90 days into the past to view meetings between team members and managers. We also offer a convenient search feature to look up employees and meetings by name.
Nudging Employees and Managers
It's possible to nudge employees and managers from the 1:1 meetings overview for HR Admins. Below is a screenshot showing where to locate this nudge option.
Managers and employees can be nudged once every 24 hours using this feature.
Presenting to your team? Download our Keynote or Powerpoint below